Saturday, August 16, 2008

Bunco is not for old people anymore

Last night was my monthly Bunco night. It happened to be at my house. And what a good Bunco night it was. Not that I've seen many bad Bunco nights. I don't even know if that could happen.

Before I met my husband, I don't know that I had ever heard of Bunco. I assumed, silly me, that it was like Bridge, a game for old ladies that have nothing better to do with their time. Fast forward to meeting Andy. His mother introduced me to the game of Bunco. A silly dice game that takes absolutely NO talent, has potential earnings, and involves snacks and drinks. I'm in. Then we moved away, and away, and away. Several kids later, my neighbor and I decide to start a bunco group in our neighborhood. A reason for the ladies to get together, complain (I mean talk) about our kids, husbands, jobs, etc. I thought it was a great success. Each place we lived, I tried and partially succeeded in starting a Bunco group. Then we move to our current home. There is talk on the street about starting a Bunco group. Perfect. I have all the goods and away we go.

We all knew each other on the street but yet it took Bunco to really get to know each other. I feel as though we are all so much comfortable with one another. Without even needing to say something, we can smile and know we can all relate to each other. We know more stories, more secrets, more of our personalities now.

I don't know why, but you get a group of gals together, mix in a few drinks, a couple of dice (I typed die but it looked weird), the conversations start flowing. The beginning of the night may start out a little slow, but it never fails, it doesn't end that way. Anything you wanted to say or was on your mind, will come out and 9 times out of 10 someone has thought the same things. All of us are married, most of us are parents. Some just starting out, some veterans. We have all faced many of the same problems in our day. And for some reason, it just makes us feel better that someone else has felt the same way. We are all different people and yet we are so alike when it comes down to the bottom line.

I'm going to end with my favorite line of the night, without naming names. My friend comes out of the bathroom and says laughing, "I can't believe I didn't notice, my underwear are on inside out." It truly takes another mother to understand that she probably had to get dressed with three kids holding her leg, while she was trying to protect her kids from the sight of the private area, while answering the phone and trying to turn the stove off. We all laughed for a good half an hour. Motherhood. Indescribable. Bunco. Priceless.

4 comments:

Sue and Mike said...

As long your spleens aren't showing when your underwear is on inside out, you're good to go!

Shannon said...

I found it comforting to learn through Bunco that I'm not the only woman on the street with a mind in the gutter...It's the "unpublishable" stories/comments that are the funniest and most memorable!

jlof said...

at least she was wearing underwear!!!

tammy said...

I am just getting to your blog now, Renee. Days later..lucky I am not still wearing the same underwear...inside out! Actually, tonight I noticed most of my underwear are in the dirty laundry so I am wearing a pair of MATERNITY undies. Should be a romantic night here!